This weekend...

General tournament discussion.

Moderators: Becky, Joeyd

This weekend...

Postby Autopsie » Mon May 23, 2005 8:43 am

did everyone have fun? :)
what are some thoughts on this weekends condition?
~ if bowlers prayed to a god, it would be me ~
Autopsie
Veteran

Postby Forry » Mon May 23, 2005 10:08 am

It was nice to see that a house that is generally known for outrogeous scoring tried to keep the scoring pace in check. I thought they did a good job. We don't need to bowl on a strike fest every week. There were a lot of reenetries because people thought they had a chance to make the cut because the scores were lower. Only needed to average 206 to make the cut compared to the usual 225-230 average it normally takes.
Chris Forry
BuddiesProShop.com
Proud Sponsor of NEBA
Forry
Veteran

Postby Chris Monroy » Mon May 23, 2005 12:04 pm

This shot was most definitely a challenge. There was very little hold in the middle and if you pushed the ball too far to the right, there was plenty of hang. Speed control and accuracy were important. Spare making was also quite important as well as I saw plenty of missed spares this weekend.

I agree with Forry. It was nice to see a little more demanding condition at Milford which normally is the ultimate wall of China. Hopefully, there will be a mix of levels of scorability as the season progresses.

Chris Monroy
In the game of life and bowling, strike early and often!
Chris Monroy
Veteran

Postby Autopsie » Mon May 23, 2005 1:11 pm

i agree with chris and chris here. i liked the shot. you payed for errand shots.

seems that the only real high scoring event this year has been the non-champions. other than that, each house has tamed high scoring.

it's always nice knowing you may be plus 40 with 2 games to go and your very much in the hunt for a squad cut.
Autopsie
Veteran

Scoring Conditions....

Postby michbowl » Mon May 23, 2005 3:42 pm

I agree with all that was said, however I can't believe with all the technology that we incorporate in Bowling that we have to go back to equipment that is never used at this level of bowling anymore....What ever happened to making the lanes tougher with more OIL????

Just a thought....

When was the last time you had to use Plastic or Urathane at the Nationals???? I'd like to think with all the gains the sport has made over the years that we could make the shots tougher and also incorporate this era's Bowling Equipment!!!!!

But I guess old rules are tough to kill.....

Last week when I went to play golf I notice everyone swinging Wooden shafted irons and no one was hitting Graphite Drivers with TItanium heads....

Game has evolved lets grow with it.....

JUST A THOUGHT :shock:
michbowl
Veteran

Postby Autopsie » Mon May 23, 2005 4:22 pm

well i also thought they were hooking a lot but the right side did look like all the oil was soaked up.

i am a big fan of giving the right side more oil to work with this way by the end of the day, it's not just john kirker for the right side in the top 8.
Autopsie
Veteran

Postby Chris Monroy » Mon May 23, 2005 8:23 pm

I think Autopsie made an interesting and accurate observation about the oil. I can say that when I warmed up on Saturday, I used a Big Block Diesel and one my first couple of shots, I can honestly say that I saw my ball hooking in the front part of the lane. There was very little oil in the heads from the start. What made the shot tough was that you could get in and swing the lane from the right side. The problem was that there was not unlimited swing as there was a hang spot on the right side down the lane.

Michbowl also made an interesting comment. My own feeling, just based on my experiences, is that there are two ways to make lanes tough. One is to take all hold out of the middle which was what happened this weekend. The other way, in conformity with what Michbowl has observed, is to take all swing away. Either way can make the shot demanding. And yes it is true, on many conditions today, better bowlers are reverting to either weaker lines of current equipment or reverting to older equipment to try and combat drier lanes. My own feeling is that for NEBA purposes, perhaps the latter method of making lanes tougher might make the shot hold up better for 2 squads plus finals. If there were a way to set up a shot so that all players were forced out to AND up the gutter until the shot broke down, then the middles would not be disturbed too early in the tournament. While this weekend was a very good and demanding challenge, by playing the lanes properly, it did burn the middle part of the lane very early for a tournament that has to have a shot hold up for multiple squads and finals.

Again, just my feelings. Congratulations to Mr. Weeks for winning and to all other finalists for making the cut.

Chris Monroy
In the game of life and bowling, strike early and often!
Chris Monroy
Veteran

Postby Gasman » Tue May 24, 2005 11:36 am

I'm with Russ on this 1. I didn't make the trip down and from what I heard I am glad I didn't. Tough is fine but how about flooded tough , (flat heavy oil). If I drove 3 hours to have the ball hook at my ankles, I would have been very upset.
Brian Gaskill
Gasman
Veteran

CONGRADS TO ANDY WEEKS

Postby istrike4u » Tue May 24, 2005 6:40 pm

Brian and Russ
You both know I respect you on and off the lanes, so PLEASE don't take this the wrong way.. They hooked alot, however you couldn't hook it or you really had no look whether left or right, this I agree, but we are competitive players and we are all great at what we do best. However we can never excell at our weaknesses unless we see them more. This was an awsome test of skill at least during the qualifying rounds. I'll bet even those that really sucked will tell you, they could compete on that with a little time and equipment changes. I will also say that after qualifying, I thought the right was getting ugly, a small few didn't agree with me but I can say they weren't getting any better.

That being said we should all remember, there's some conditions we just can't compete on, no matter how good or how smart we are or even what hand we throw it with. As long as we don't see those conditions every tournament we should have no complaints. For this, it was great to see lower scores and a curveball in the mix in a place where you expect to shoot a million.

ANDY Weeks it's also great to see you bowling again and winning too!!! CONGRATULATIONS. Your definatly a credit to NEBA as our newest champion.
Steve Hardy
istrike4u
Veteran

Postby Gasman » Tue May 24, 2005 11:29 pm

Point taken Steve and I agree. Again I wasn't even there , I am just going by what I heard. I just wanted to point out that if the NEBA directors are going to continue to ask the houses ahead of time to tame down scores, that flooding the lanes seems to me a much better option for the majority of the field than scorching them. Keep up the good work all.
Brian Gaskill
Gasman
Veteran

Postby Holota » Wed May 25, 2005 10:22 am

It was definately an interesting event to say the least.

As far as flooding the lane, it more depends on the type of oil being used than the volume being put out. As far as the NEBA directors asking for a tougher shot, it is news by me. Can Becky or Jack confirm that Milford was asked to put out a tougher shot?

Holota
Holota
Veteran

Postby Gasman » Wed May 25, 2005 11:08 am

Thanks for the insight Billy, I hope I didn't misspeak about the directors , I was under the impression that ever since the Brockton tourney that the directors were asking each house to at least modify their house shot, if I am wrong I apologize in advance.
Brian Gaskill
Gasman
Veteran

Postby Autopsie » Wed May 25, 2005 12:30 pm

a certain neba bowler who has a say in the shot at milford took it upon himself to make the shot tougher. the real manager there isn't a bowler and doesn't know a thing about conditions.

the amf employee had very good intensions and i enjoyed the shot.
Autopsie
Veteran

Return to 2005 Tournaments