whats the pattern for bradley

General Discussion -- anything not related to a specific NEBA tournament.

Moderators: Becky, Joeyd

Re: whats the pattern for bradley

Postby RevInfinity » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:11 pm

By the way Jon, congrats on another title, and I'm quite sure many more to come. :)
RevInfinity
Veteran

Postby TReynaud » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:13 pm

This appears to be another interesting topic. I am from the same school as Monroy that the lane condition isn’t going to dictate whether or not I show up at a tournament. For the most part I have a pretty good idea what to expect just by looking at past results posted on this board. I also talk to the house bowlers if I run into them or on Facebook. In short I do some preparation but if I didn’t know a thing I would still bowl the tournament. Well that is me but I can totally see the other side of the coin here. I can see how someone who lives far away might not want to drive 2 or 3 hours and beat his head against the wall for a brutal shot. I am not sure what the right thing to do is,but maybe it is worth discussing again. I would think the main goal here is to do things that increase participation in the tournament. I don’t know if posting the potential shot in advance would increase entries or actually decrease them. I do have some questions about what kind of lane conditions does the Membership prefer? Joey made the comment about when he talks to the houses
they prefer medium scoring conditions. I would think if we got medium every month that would not be a good thing either. It seems to me that no matter what the conditions are there is going to be some bowlers who are not happy with it. It seems like Becky and Joey will get complaints whether the scores are high, low or medium. I wonder what is best for the tournament.

Russ: Will posting the shot in advance help you make more tournaments? Also what lane condition do you prefer?

China Doll: Same two questions to you? I would also like to address your comment about driving and signing your cash over to the superstars. I am not sure this is really the best attitude to have, and I am not ridiculing you or defaming you. I just don’t think bowling NEBA is all about the money. If you talk to Jon Van Hees today I would be almost sure he would tell you it was nice to win 2 thousand bucks but winning itself feels 100% more important. Nobody is getting rich bowling NEBA. I think your $90 bucks does the same thing JVH’s $90 bucks does. It buys both of you the right to go out and compete against some of the best bowlers in New England and if done correctly bowling NEBA can improves all of our games. If I could go out and compete with Mika, Walter Ray, and Barnes for $90 bucks a month, I might lose money but I would do it in a heartbeat just for the experience. I also know I may be a bit poorer at the end of the year but I will most likely be a better bowler which would be worth every penny to me. Once again I am not defaming you as it would be great to see you bowl more tournaments.

So guys I would love to have more discussions about what people prefer for lane conditions and what people think would help improve this great tournament called NEBA!
TReynaud
Rookie

Postby michbowl » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:53 pm

SORRY I EVER COMMENTED ON THIS.

SUCH A SIMPLE QUESTION THAT IGNITED SO MUCH FUROR...

NEVER HAD ANY INTENTIONS FOR SOMEONE OR OTHERS TO TAKE OR MAKE THIS PERSONAL.

I APOLOGIZE IF I OFFENDED ANYONE.

RUSS M.
Russ Michaud
Veteran

Postby wujekcity » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:35 am

wah! wah ! wah! everyone just bowl if you want , dont bowl if you dont want to =). SImple isnt it? No matter what you do to help improve the tournaments, there will always be legitimate gripes out there! There is no such thing as a perfect tournament! Lets just go out there an have some fun! And plz guyz stop kicking my ass in the first round of matchplay! lol
wujekcity
Veteran

Postby Chris Monroy » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:22 pm

To Wujekcity- You hit the nail right on the head. No matter what is done, there will always be a complaint...the shot was too easy, the shot was too hard etc. As such, the whole point of my diatribe to ChinaDoll was just shoe up and bowl. Don't worry about the condition. If you make the cut, then keep working to improve. If you fail to make the cut, then keep working to improve. Learning how to bowl is an ever evolving process and a continuing learning process. The minute you think you understand how to bowl is exactly the minute you don't know how to bowl.

To TReynaud- As always, you are a voice of reason and intelligence. You and I were making the exact same point to ChinaDoll except I was considerably more blunt and "unpolitcally correct" because of the personal nature of his post against me. That being said, the message was clear. Perhaps I was not raised properly, but my upbringing has always been to be the very best that you can be at whatever you do. Granted, there are people who will excel more than others based on their inate talents. However, the goal is to always maximize what talents we have in order to be the best that we can be. That requries hard work. When people worry about the shot, that, in my mind, is a defeatist attitude and as I said, and I 100% stand by what I said in my 2009 post to ChinaDoll, the mentality of a loser. HOW DO YOU KNOW YOU CAN'T COMPETE ON THAT CONDITION UNLESS YOU TRY? EVEN IF YOU DON'T SUCCEED, HOW DO YOU KNOW IN THE FUTURE THAT YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO COMPETE ON THAT CONDITION WITH A LITTLE BIT OF HARD WORK AND LEARNING? I understand the practicalities of today's fast paced living and the realities of long drives to tournaments. However, to make decisions to bowl based on conditions is a resignation that a person isn't, can't and will never be good enough to compete. If that is a person's mentality, then that's their right to have such a thought process. However, that also means that a person will not reach their full potential, whatever that may be. As you observed, your entry fee gets you the chance to make money, but most importantly, gives you the opportunity to compete against top level New England bowlers and to learn and improve. It IS a great opportunity if properly used.

To ChinaDoll- Since my post to you the other day, I have learned your identity with strong certainty from a number of reliable sources. I was most dismayed to know that it was you who wrote the post. I never considered you a friend, but I did consider you someone with whom I could be cordial if I saw you at league or NEBA. Your post to me, though, has proven to my complete satisfaction that you have SIGNIFICANTLY less class, integrity, and honesty than I thought. What is most ironic here is that a very quick and cursory review of your statistics reveal YOU DON'T BOWL NEBA THAT OFTEN!!! Yet, at the same time, you have leveled scathing criticisms, complaints, and opinions about NEBA and some of its "superstars and select elites". Moreover, from a review of the 5-6 posts that you have written, a reasonable inference can be drawn that you can and will only compete in a certain environment...in the neighborhood of a +60-+125 range. Anything above or below that and you won't show up. While I cannot be certain, an inference from your words can be drawn that would certainly support such a suggestion. Thus, you will never be satisfied unless scores are in that range with a default to the higher end of scores. Stated differently, you will not be content unless NEBA is modeled to YOUR liking and that you are the repository of all things that are good for NEBA. Simply amazing. What is more amazing, especially considering that you are not an elite player, is that you somehow suggest that the elite got there because of inside information. I can tell you this with absolute certainty, the elite/superstars/multi-time champions, whatever you want to call that upper eschelon of players in NEBA, did not get there because of some sort of inside information or because of some NEBA dial-a-shot. They got there because they are that good as a player and worked hard to maintain that skill level. In other words, as I stated earlier, they took their talents and worked hard to mold and refine that talent to be the best they can be. Like Revinfinity said, whatever happened to the bowler accepting responsibility for shortcomings when he/she does not make the cut and working to improve. Next thing you know, I am going to guess ChinaDoll that you will argue that NEBA members who are on staff with ball companies should not be allowed to compete because of some unfair advantage they may allegedly have over nonstaffers. Are you going to suggest that the Aguiars or the Vanheeses of NEBA, for example, are where they are because they are on staff? I don't think so. But, ChinaDoll, you keep searching for that perfect environment where you believe you can compete, and the rest will just continue working and improving to be better all around players. Sad part is, in case you haven't figured this out ChinaDoll, you will likely still be beaten in YOUR preferred environment, assuming you make the cut, by the better players simply because, they are better players.

I am done with this topic. I just had to get this off my chest though. Hopefully, the forum can return to more positive/upbeat topics and threads. Sorry for being longwinded.

Chris Monroy
In the game of life and bowling, strike early and often!
Chris Monroy
Veteran

Postby michbowl » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:01 pm

This is way out of hand???? LOL....

Way to personal..... LOL

I may need a good Lawyer to defend myself !!!!

Russ M.
Russ Michaud
Veteran

Postby Autopsie » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:03 pm

we should just all post our league scores........ :D
~ if bowlers prayed to a god, it would be me ~
Autopsie
Veteran

Postby ChinaDoll » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:38 pm

Of course the germane issue is whether people want to know the shot BEFORE they come -& as I have shown, the answer is yes. For those of you who want to research it there are a myriad of entries from players asking just that in entries on this site. And knowing the shot means knowing the scoring pattern let us not forget.

Secondly, another issue is DO players know the shot before they come. As JVH himself admits, he does sometimes. And don't think he is the only one who knows - because others make the call as well, or get the text from their buddies or hear it chatted up at their local houses. As I have postulated, this knowledge tends to be held by the more elite bowlers... Johnny Donator has no idea what he is walking into.

But most sad of all is the President of NEBA actually losing his temper and attacking another point of view publicly and in writing. Now if you are a regular member that is quite alright - as you are not the ambassador for your organization. But this display by Mr. Monroy, well, it is imply inappropriate and well, sad. Considering the source it does not surprise me, as his tantrums and surly attitude on the lanes are well know and documented. Nevertheless, it should give pause to any member who wants to see this organization thrive and be inclusive to new bowlers.
ChinaDoll
Rookie

Postby Joeyd » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:35 pm

I find it odd that you have issues with Chris attacking you, yet you take every chance to attack him. Also, if I may, considering you're so comfortable with calling him out as well as mentioning other names, do we get to mention yours too? Lane conditions aren't the only things that bowlers talk and/or text about.

"A myriad of entries from players on this site" asking for conditions before hand... Yet somehow we got 229 entries this past weekend... in July... and this is without anything about conditions being posted. If I had to guess, I'd say there are about 50 active posters on this board, and I'm pretty certain that guess is on the high side. We have somewhere near 500 members each year. Taking that into consideration, I don't think that posts here are proving that a large amount of our bowlers want to know the conditions before they step onto the lanes.

As for people making the proverbial call to the bowling center, if one person makes the call, then one hundred can make it. Whether you're #1 on the points list or #200, nothing is to stop anyone, including "Johnny Donator" as you put it, from picking up the phone and contacting a center.

Lastly, NEBA's president is Alex Aguiar. He's been NEBA's president since the beginning of the year. I'm sure that if given the opportunity he'll chime in on this and/or anything else you'd like to converse about. Our next meeting is on Sunday September 11th at Nutmeg Bowl... Feel free to chat me up the next time you're hanging out at a tournament as well. I'd gladly have listened at Bradley Bowl...
Joeyd
Veteran

Postby RevInfinity » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:50 am

ChinaDoll wrote:Of course the germane issue is whether people want to know the shot BEFORE they come -& as I have shown, the answer is yes. For those of you who want to research it there are a myriad of entries from players asking just that in entries on this site. And knowing the shot means knowing the scoring pattern let us not forget.

Secondly, another issue is DO players know the shot before they come. As JVH himself admits, he does sometimes. And don't think he is the only one who knows - because others make the call as well, or get the text from their buddies or hear it chatted up at their local houses. As I have postulated, this knowledge tends to be held by the more elite bowlers... Johnny Donator has no idea what he is walking into.

But most sad of all is the President of NEBA actually losing his temper and attacking another point of view publicly and in writing. Now if you are a regular member that is quite alright - as you are not the ambassador for your organization. But this display by Mr. Monroy, well, it is imply inappropriate and well, sad. Considering the source it does not surprise me, as his tantrums and surly attitude on the lanes are well know and documented. Nevertheless, it should give pause to any member who wants to see this organization thrive and be inclusive to new bowlers.

If people want to know the scoring pattern, I think it's obvious that people can ask whomever they wish. It has been decided, at least to this point, for the pattern to not be shared publicly. If you disagree with that ruling, which I have no idea why it's such a big deal to you, then as Joey said, talk to him, talk to Alex, show up at the board meeting at Nutmeg. I don't really think you'll actually do that though, because then people will know who you are. I doubt you really want that to happen, because if you did, you would have admitted that fact already.

To address paragraph #2, who cares if others know what the shot is? I refuse to believe bowlers are really that feeble, but maybe this belief is simply too optimistic. The competition level of NEBA is well documented, I'm pretty sure all bowlers participating in NEBA know what they are getting into. You aren't that naive, are you?

What's most sad of all is that you don't actually know who the NEBA president is. I've read both of Monroy's posts, and neither of them are belligerent in any way, plus you kind of called him out in this thread, so, you reap what you sow I suppose. I don't find anything he said out of line, considering what he had to reply to. I don't attend many NEBAs anymore due to time and obligations, but I have been a member of this organization now for thirteen years, and I can nearly count on my hand as to how many NEBAs you have attended. You berate Chris on his posts bearing no positivity toward NEBA, yet your posts demonstrate none as well, it's a little bit hypocritical.

It's so funny ChinaDoll too, if you had chosen to be a mature adult, and not mentioned a bunch of crap that occurred two years ago, your post probably would have been almost respectable, but instead, you made yourself look foolish. Remember, if you want the same "advantage" as all the superstars, as you put them, I'm pretty sure NEBA lists the phone numbers of the bowling centers well in advance. Dialing a phone is fairly simple, I'm told.
RevInfinity
Veteran

Postby RevInfinity » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:19 am

I think this has served its purpose now. Hopefully, if people have issues with something in NEBA they can be described politely without personal attack from this point forward.
RevInfinity
Veteran

Previous

Return to General Discussion