STATISTICS, what our your thoughts?????

Discussions about NEBA tournaments scheduled for the 2007 season.

Moderators: Becky, Joeyd

STATISTICS, what our your thoughts?????

Postby michbowl » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:51 pm

One celebrated tounaments held in the Country and we can't have the stats updated??????

I could have understood the first couple of months but this long, not good....

Should have imediate updates within one week if not sooner after Tournament,,,
michbowl
Veteran

Postby Becky » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:57 pm

I am sorry for the delay. I wish they were up sooner. The beginning of the year is always a challenge to say the least. The stats are not much later than usual. At the beginning of each year, stats are not usually posted until after the February or March tournament which is about now.

The start of the year is difficult. When tournaments are two weekends a month, and memberships are being renewed, almost all my free hours are put into NEBA. NEBA is a part-time so it has to take the back seat to other obligations that fill my life. This year a back injury set me back in December and January (but I still drove the New Hampshire for the Point Leaders even though it was against my doctor's advice). Things are caught up now and tournaments are less often so stats should be updated quickly like they usually are in the summer. Don't get too spoiled though - remember we go back to two a month in September. :)

Russ - I don't get bothered by too many things but I took offense to your first line. \"One celebrated tounaments held in the Country and we can't have the stats updated??????\" NEBA is a part-time job. Sacred Heart pays my bills and gives me insurance. Having stats posted within a week sounds nice but is not a reality at certain times of the year. Next January, if you think you can get the 213 membership cards and 300+ entries in the computer around your full-time job and whatever else you might do in the evening then get the file to the person who volunteers his time to maintain this website by Wednesday evening after the tournament, I will give you piles of cards and scoresheets. I do this job because I enjoy it. When I stop enjoying it, you can have it.
Becky Kregling
NEBA Secretary/Treasurer
Becky
Site Admin

senior

Postby bong420 » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:24 am

hey becky russ just wanted to see his senior of the year race. Its not easy getting old like russ.
bong420
Rookie

Postby Holota » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:28 am

Becky,

I wouldn't take Russ' comments too personal, I think the assumption is that the scores are already entered at the tournament site. But it looks like you have to enter them twice.

Bill

P.S. Russ.... Senior of the Year? Ya Old #%^&$%^&%$&$& :)
Holota
Veteran

Postby Becky » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:09 am

The results kept on-site are done in the bracket program. The bowler list with personal information on about 2,000 people, current season's stats and detailed results from each tournament are kept in a huge excel file.

That file was updated on-site (thanks to Katie). After falling victim to a short nap as soon as I walked in the door, I was going to post the top 40 on the message board and send the current stats to Scott but my computer isn't cooperating. The excel file is \"Unable to read file\" so we lost everything from this weekend. If I lost the whole season, the stats won't be up for quite a while, again. Sorry. I went from getting everything done within 24 hours to possibly another long delay and too many hours of duplicate work. Computers are not cooperating with me lately. I am going to sleep instead of trying to deal with this now.

Thanks to everyone who chose to come to NEBA instead of enjoying the best weekend outside so far this year and to all those who completed the surveys.
Becky Kregling
NEBA Secretary/Treasurer
Becky
Site Admin

Postby Chris Monroy » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:26 am

With all due respect to anyone else who has posted on this thread, I don't think Becky owes an explanation to anyone. Each month, we enjoy, as NEBA members, tournaments that are run in an exceedingly efficient manner. I don't know of too many tournaments that run with the same level of efficiency and \"customer service\" that NEBA demonstrates on a consistent basis. Jack, Becky, Debbie, and all others on staff go out of their way, both on NEBA and non-NEBA time to make sure these tournaments run well. There are many behind the scenes issues that take place in order for the \"show\" to take place during tournament weekend. Instead of worrying about whether the stats are posted, why not think about how fortunate we are to still have a first rate tournament organization where other tournament organizations across the country are collapsing. (Source: recent Bowler's Journal article...I will get the exact issue if someone wants it.)

Again, I don't think Becky owes an explanation or justification to anyone...instead I think the NEBA staff is entitled to gratitude for their tireless efforts to make the organization run.

By the way, if someone is that disgruntled with the organization or certain issues within the organization, perhaps that person should consider getting involved with the NEBA board. For an organization with so many people in it, it amazes me that so few want to contribute to the organization to make it run. Just something to think about for the next time there is a complaint...

Chris Monroy
In the game of life and bowling, strike early and often!
Chris Monroy
Veteran

Postby Fat Shady » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:06 pm

all titles aside, russ has every right to express his complaint here. and there is no reason in the world he needs to join the friggen board of directors to do it. what kind of nonsense is that??

he is a member. that's all he needs.

and i would bet my house that he appreciates jack's and becky's and everyone's efforts at every neba. slamming him is not the way to go, monderoy. :P

after reading this thread a few days ago, i thought that maybe an excel spreadsheet would work with a crapload of macros to determine the category leaders.

i quickly realized that this file would be huge. i was thinking about offering my help this tuesday as becky usually has her sacred heart team practicing at hamden lanes when my pba experience league bowls.

but i think this file is wayyyyy over my head and i don't make every neba. :(

but i would be willing. after all, russ mills updates the east region the next one or two days after regionals. :wink:

(i just had to throw that in there, didn't i?? the rat bastard that i am. :twisted: )

anyway, you guys always do a tremendous job at every neba becky. thanks for all of your hard work. :!:
We all need to maneuver around hidden obstacles to get to the coveted pocket.
Fat Shady
Veteran

Postby AdamVin4 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:55 pm

Becky,

What tournament software do you use? You shouldn't have to enter scores twice.

I haven't used any of the packages on the market, so I can't speak from experience, but I've seen Ebonite's product at http://www.bowlcsp.com/tournament_coordinator.htm, which claims to manage scoring history in \"Circuit\" mode.

Other packages include Perfect Tournament from Treasure Software and CDESoftware's Tournament Software. I have to believe that somewhere there is a one-entry system to help you out. (Otherwise, there is some money to be made coding this stuff!!) :mrgreen:

I've bowled in only a handful of NEBA events, but I've seen enough to appreciate the work involved. Thanks.
AdamVin4
Rookie

Postby Becky » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:32 am

Thanks to one of the IT guys at Sacred Heart, the file was recovered. It is not perfect but I could grab the scores (thank goodness!)

This means all of you will have the stats in a timely manner. I sent off the file to Scott so they should be on-line within 48 hours.

The membership portion is questionable so I am going to redo it. People's membership, rookie or senior status may not be correct but will be the next time the stats are updated it. I didn't feel it was necessary to delay the stats. It is going to take a lot of time to go through 484 membership cards but luckily you won't have to wait! Again, sorry for the delay. Things should be back to normal pending no major injuries or computer problems. :)
Becky Kregling
NEBA Secretary/Treasurer
Becky
Site Admin

Postby Becky » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:35 am

Thanks for all the suggestions. I believe we keep too many extra stats to use existing programs (finals, match play stats, etc.) but will look into them.

I know Microsoft Access would be a better choice to keep our data. I have been wanting to move it from Excel to Access for years but haven't had the time. If anyone knows Access well and has some time to work with me on creating a file and teaching it to me, please let me know.

I agree with Chris on anyone having ideas or time to join the board. I am always tentative on such a small group of us making major and minor decisions. NEBA is run by the members so if you have time and interest, think about it for next year.

I do not mind having to explain myself. It would be great to have the stats up in March instead of April. Unfortunately, NEBA's busy time conflicts with the busy time with my other job. My only free weekend since January was Easter (and yes, I worked on NEBA that day) so I do what I can for the first 3-4 months. I appreciate people's understanding and am disappointed I can't do more. I don't bowl much anymore but when I was competitive, I was always searching for info and results so I would be ansy also.
Becky Kregling
NEBA Secretary/Treasurer
Becky
Site Admin

Postby Chris Monroy » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:12 pm

To Fat Shady- I don't know why I feel any obligation to answer to you. You, when you first started posting, were entertaining to read, especially with regard to your passion for the sport. Now, your \"appeal\" in my eyes has worn off and quite frankly, I see you as nothing but a blithering blowhard who likes to take on anyone and everyone with whom you can start controversy, even if the controversy in no way involves you. That being said, and yes, you do have a constitutionally guaranteed right to your opinion, I enjoy that equal right and yes, I am going to take your last post apart.

You claim that I called out Russ Michaud. I did nothing of the kind. I specifically used the word \"someone\" so as to not call out Russ specifically. My statement applies to anyone, be it Russ or someone else, who has a gripe with NEBA or issues within NEBA. If I wanted to call him out, then I would have specifically done so, as I am doing with you. The way to cause change is to get involved. The civil rights movement would have never taken place but for the courageous actions of individuals who got involved and worked for change. Thus if there is dissatisfaction, then work to change it or properly issue a complaint.

Now, before you say that is what Russ was doing, I now will take issue with Russ and with you. Certainly, most would like to see the updated stats and the fact that they were delayed is a legitimate issue for discussion. However, generally speaking, proper decency mandates that if you have a complaint, you address it with the person and give that person a chance to rectify the situation before making a public issue. Moreover, if you disagree with me on that point, you should be able to agree that making a quasi-sarcastic remark about the stats being delayed was not in good taste as it can be insulting. Wouldn't a better manner of initiating the post have been, \" I was looking through the website and I noticed that the stats section has not been updated for some period of time. When can we expect the section to be updated and/or is there some reason for the delay in the posting of the stats?\" Wouldn't that have done the trick and at the same time, not been potentially offensive to the person responsible for the stats?

The entire NEBA staff works tirelessly for its membership and sarcastic remarks do not express gratitude, regardless of whatever unexpressed level of gratitude Russ may have for the staff's efforts. I don't have a problem with Russ...I am disagreeing with the manner in which he handled the complaint. I too have been guilty in the way I have handled situations and I am not trying to portray myself as the repository of decency, lest you accuse me of that Shady. However, I will defend zealously and vigorously the efforts of Jack, Becky, Debbie and the NEBA staff for their efforts. I might also add that Becky's statement about her attendance at the Point Leader's Tournament was 100% true.

Shady, I am done and frankly, I am equally done with you and responding to your posts. For the last time, I would suggest that you get up from behind your computer and start bowling and work hard at your game. Stop being an observer and be a participant/player. You might be surprised at what you can accomplish. Short of that , I will not waste my time responding to your posts and defending myself on your posts, even though my better sense tells me that no defense is necessary or warranted in the first place.

Chris Monroy
Chris Monroy
Veteran

Re:

Postby Fat Shady » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:29 pm

Chris Monroy wrote:To Fat Shady -

I see you as nothing but a blithering blowhard who likes to take on anyone and everyone with whom you can start controversy...

...proper decency mandates that if you have a complaint, you address it with the person and give that person a chance to rectify the situation before making a public issue.

Shady, I am done and frankly, I am equally done with you and responding to your posts. For the last time, I would suggest that you get up from behind your computer and start bowling and work hard at your game. Stop being an observer and be a participant/player.

you want proper decency in a public forum but it's ok to get personal with me by calling me a blithering blowhard......nice.

how about for the last time you check things out before you embarrass yourself? i'm 2 for 3 cashing this year in neba. i hope to hell you don't research cases in a court of law like that. :roll:

a little more info for you since you don't have a clue about me. i enjoy bowling tournaments like neba and the east regionals because they are great organizations. since i already make 6 figures, entry fees don't mean a whole hell of a lot, so i have fun. the next 3 regionals are paid for. :P keep that in mind when the next jackass breaks my balls for donating. i hope he remembers he probably lives paycheck to paycheck and struggles to scrape up enough cash for re-entry. :(

back to the point: russ is a good guy who expressed a complaint and had every right to do so. it's as simple as that. get over yourself chris. it's a damn shame you developed an ego with a couple of victories. jeff saw that a mile away. actually, a few hundred miles away. :lol:
Fat Shady
Veteran

Postby Chris Monroy » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:32 pm

I can't resist...but this will be it. Shady, I never called out your bowling ability. If you want to accuse me of incompetence, then perhaps you should read my post carefully before you respond. I said that you should get up from behind your computer and bowl. You have bowled 3 tournaments. Yet, you still post a considerable amount more than you bowl. My point is made. Moreover, unless you know me and consider me a friend, then DO NOT joke with me. The Monderoy joke is very old and quite frankly has passed its course and where I consider you nothing more than a fellow competitor, I don't appreciate your misuse of my last name. You threw the proverbial first punch. So, if you want to call me on the blithering blowhard comment, look at yourself first relative to the Monderoy statement and calling the board \"friggen\".

By the way, do not call me out on my lawyering ability as you don't know what you are talking about as there are plenty who are well aware of my ability and I am well respected by my peers in the legal community. My lawyering ability far exceeds my bowling ability. By the way, don't try and make any remarks about how my lawyering ability then must be minimal as you have already acknowledged my bowling ability. You are only proving your own ignorance by talking about things about which you are not familiar. Oh yeah, I forgot, you are famous for doing that. I will remind you one last time... you are correct, everyone has their own opinion and the right to express it. However, you don't have the right to have your opinion heard by others abnd have that opinion credited as valid and/or with due veracity.

Lastly, yes, I am proud of my accomplishments in bowling..especially considering where I started from and where I have gone. If you want to call that ego...go right ahead. Pride is not ego. Whatever you may think of my bowling ability and what improvements you may think I have or have not made, I did not make them by sitting my rear end in front of a computer and spending my life writing on forums...like you. Congratulations on your 2 out of 3 cashes. I never called you out on your ability so as far as I am concerned, your cashing ratio is irrelevant to what I was discussing. Again, read the post before you call me out.

Chris Monroy

I will tell you once more
Chris Monroy
Veteran

Postby RevInfinity » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:39 pm

this looks like a job for me
so everybody just follow me
because we need a little controversy
but it feels so empty without me...

I also disagree with Russ's portrayal of his point in the initial post. Mentioning the issue without the condescending 'tone' isn't all that difficult, at least as far as I thought. As far as Shady's comments, well, par for the course. :)
RevInfinity
Veteran

Postby Fat Shady » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:09 pm

i can't read monderoy's posts any longer. he goes off on tangents so often he makes my hair hurt. WTF are you babbling about bro? :?:

BTW, when i renewed my neba membership i didn't see where it listed a minimum number of tournaments bowled before you were allowed to post on the forum. too funny. keep in mind, you have more posts than i and seeing the way you do post, i'm surprised there's enough friggen bandwidth to accomodate you. :roll:

and lastly, keep your friggen advice to yourself. if i ever was in a situation where i wanted advice from you, i'd drive my truck into a bridge abutment beforehand.

JESUS GOD ALMIGHTY

ps. am i under or over par with that post wood? :twisted:
Fat Shady
Veteran

Next

Return to 2007 Tournaments