Doubles Suggestion

Submit tournament suggestions for discussion.

Moderators: Becky, Joeyd

Would you be interested?

Poll ended at Thu Apr 15, 2004 3:04 pm

Yes
43%
No
57%

Total votes : 7

Doubles Suggestion

Postby Autopsie » Mon Apr 05, 2004 3:04 pm

Since more and more people now have titles, it is becoming harder to put together a doubles team for most players.

if neba did something like a \"lucky doubles\" tournament and drew for partners, (yes it would be possible to have 2 champs) would people be interested in this?
Autopsie
Veteran

Postby Jlo » Mon Apr 05, 2004 6:25 pm

That is not a bad idea. I wouldn't mind that. But, I would have to come out of retirement first!!!!
Jlo
Veteran

Postby Autopsie » Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:03 pm

anyone else? looks like 100% of NEBA would love this idea....lol
Autopsie
Veteran

Postby RevInfinity » Tue Apr 06, 2004 1:17 pm

That would be interesting...

I'm not sure if I like that idea or not...
RevInfinity
Veteran

Postby ScottW » Tue Apr 06, 2004 1:29 pm

While I think it's an interesting idea, I think you'd have to break the field into A & B players and draw that way.
ScottW
Site Admin

Postby Autopsie » Tue Apr 06, 2004 2:17 pm

i think it would be a cool thing to do in the future. it would make for an interesting tournament!
Autopsie
Veteran

Re:

Postby goof1073 » Tue Apr 06, 2004 4:14 pm

Autopsie wrote:i think it would be a cool thing to do in the future. it would make for an interesting tournament!
Or a horrible one depending on who you got paired up against. With all of the variables that appear at bowling tournaments I kind of like atleast knowing whom I would be bowling with. How would you honestly feel if you got paired with first time NEBA bowler and say Stoke and Litch got paired?

While I admit it could get tougher to make teams as more champions pile up, I think there is a better suited way to pick partners than a blind picking. The A/B concept that Scott brought up might be one solution?
\"Life is cheap...its the accessories that will kill ya!!\"
goof1073
Veteran

Postby bennettbowls » Tue Apr 06, 2004 5:50 pm

I think keeping it where champions can't bowl together helps get new guys into NEBA. You may have a house guy that doesn't think he is good enough, or just doesn't know about NEBA, and a champion asks him to bowl, and you have a new member. I don't know, just another way to keep growing membership.
bennettbowls
Rookie

Postby LONGnST8 » Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:00 pm

i would not be into a \"random doubles partner\" neba tournament. a mystery doubles even to me is more of a fun thing.. not a serious tournament event. random doubles is something you do on a lazy night after league to me.

and isn't the purpose of champions not being allowed to bowl together supposed to be the fact that finding a partner IS hard and it requires bowlers find NEW neba bowlers? to grow membership?
LONGnST8
Veteran

Re:

Postby Autopsie » Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:23 am

LONGnST8 wrote:
and isn't the purpose of champions not being allowed to bowl together supposed to be the fact that finding a partner IS hard and it requires bowlers find NEW neba bowlers? to grow membership?

i think the reason is they didn't want a stacked doubles team and discurage bowlers who may not be as good. but i think your theory can also work.
~ if bowlers prayed to a god, it would be me ~
Autopsie
Veteran

doubles champ paired

Postby leftyhasit » Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:21 am

i dont really like that idea much. i think they should hold a special ToC and have the champs only bowl it if they want to do that and have a doubles Non ToC but i dont think that they should have it mixed like that.
leftyhasit
Rookie

Postby Holota » Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:39 am

Personally I don't know how doubles can count towards BOY points.
Holota
Veteran

Postby Autopsie » Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:41 am

i could see how it does count but since it is a \"special\" sort of event, maybe it shouldn't. the masters didn't and everyone had the option to bowl or not.
~ if bowlers prayed to a god, it would be me ~
Autopsie
Veteran

Re:

Postby ScottW » Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:42 pm

Holota wrote:Personally I don't know how doubles can count towards BOY points.

Bill, maybe you could elaborate on why you don't think it should count.

As far as I can tell, there's no reason it shouldn't count. Doubles doesn't really differ much from a singles tournament (other than yesterday's baker doubles match play format).
ScottW
Site Admin

Postby Holota » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:35 am

Scott,
To me BOY is more of an individual achievment. The idea that someone in the top 48 points could be there due to having a good doubles partner undermines the point leader tournament.

There are several tournaments that points are not earned including champions, non-champions and this years masters.

JMO
Bill
Holota
Veteran

Next

Return to Tournament