Doubles Suggestion

Submit tournament suggestions for discussion.

Moderators: Becky, Joeyd

Would you be interested?

Poll ended at Thu Apr 15, 2004 3:04 pm

Yes
43%
No
57%

Total votes : 7

Postby ScottW » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:57 am

Bill,

That's a very valid point, but . . .

Doubles is very tough because both bowlers must bowl well, or at least one bowler cannot bowl terribly. What I mean is, I don't think any doubles team is going to make a cut where one bowler bowls even or minus a few pins. There are probably very rare cases where one partner shoots 300 over and the other is even and they make the cut, but that isn't happening very often. Maybe Becky has data that could back up or disprove that thinking.

Additionally, if someone isn't good enough to make a singles cut, are they really going to earn enough points in one or two doubles tournament to make the top 48? Especially since one bowler cannot carry a doubles team through match play in a baker doubles format such as we had on Sunday.

Points leaders isn't open to just any NEBA member, I figured that was a given so I didn't mention it previously and therefore should not have BOTY points attached to it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the ToC/non-champs weekend get BOTY points? I think it's the non-champs only weekend that doesn't give out BOTY points because not every member has the opportunity to bowl that weekend. Either way, if points aren't given out either of these weekends it's because not every member has the opportunity to bowl in the same tournament.

Anyway, just playing devil's advocate . . .
ScottW
Site Admin

Postby Holota » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:04 pm

Scott,

I have seen people go +200 and not make the cut. Is that fair to him that he would have made a singles cut and earned points. If this guy was on the bubble to get into the top 48 this could have put him in there.

This is my main point.
BOTY is a singles title not doubles.

Bill
Holota
Veteran

Postby Holota » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:13 pm

Scott,

I'm gonna take this a step further. I don't think anyone currently in the top 24 in points should be allowed to bowl together or has occupied a top 24 spot in the last 2 years. Like people said in the past, finding a non-champ to bowl with and be competitive is tough to do.

If the tournament was designed to increase membership, then make it a member/non-member.

For me if I come across someone that really wants to bowl then I will bowl. If I am in contention for BOTY then I will search, otherwise I don't care and choose not to bowl.

Bill
Holota
Veteran

Previous

Return to Tournament